Forum

/ Home \ \ Subjects /

Subject: Small HEAD problems :)

21/03/2008 04:07 Mi:
Some of webspiders (webcrawlers, bots) are using POST request method, they are expecting result like in GET method, but without content, only HTTP header.

When content is gzipped (client requests content-encoding: gzip using HEAD method) after HTTP header, server sends 20 octets extra: 1F 8B 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00. It looks like gzip header but its useless.

If requested file is SSI, CGI or ISAPI script - both header and full content are returned. REQUEST_METHOD passed to script is = GET. In this case effect of HEAD and GET methods is identical. I think, script should be normally started (with REQUEST_METHOD=HEAD) but only header send to the client.

If requested file is *.ASIS type, only 8 bytes: "HTTP/1.1" client can see. It should be header of ASIS file.
21/03/2008 04:24 Mi:
Sorry, not POST but HEAD I've in meaning. Firsth sentence should be:

Some of webspiders (webcrawlers, bots) are using HEAD request method, they are expecting result like in GET method, but without content, only HTTP header.

22/03/2008 12:09 Max:
I don't sure that server must run the script for HEAD request. Usualy the scripts tries to do something, and probably HEAD request does not required these actions.
In any case I try to fix HEAD reply, when it incorrect. Thank you for your message.
17/04/2008 13:22 muziling:
My Small Http Server 's version is 3.05.76 (windows), problem description below:
I open ftp server(part of Small Http Server function), ftp server settion is default, I create a user( example testuser/testuser) who have Read FTP and Write FTP rights, example a server file "test.txt", and test.txt is readonly. When i login ftp with testuser/testuser and upload local file name "test.txt" too, the expect result is local file overwrite ftp server file. Server file is readonly, so overwrite fail, but ftp server response operation success to ftp client. The client which i write by java and use apache net components(commons.apache.org/net/), .. but the client can receive fail from vsftpd(a linux ftp server) in the same condition.

I am so sorry , my english is poor , hope you will understand what i mean. Thanks and good luck.
17/04/2008 13:23 muziling:
sorry i post error

User: Password: New user:   Save password: